2015 Black Ankle Vineyards Viognier

Estate: Black Ankle Vineyards

Region: North Central Piedmont, Frederick County, Maryland, United States of America


Tasting Note:May 27, 2016

Second white from Black Ankle. Pale golden yellow, lighter than the Chardonnay. A little tight to start off, but definite tropical/citrus fruit influence, like lychee and grapefruits. Something a little sweet too, not exactly sure what but almost caramelized. Moderate plus acidity (7.5/10), tangy and light bodied. Palate was a little closed off with just wood chips and wet grass. Maybe with more time it will develop some more complex notes. Moderate finish and semi-dry.

Majority of this wine is Viognier with 75% the other 25% is Grüner Veltliner. This bottling only had 200 cases produced.

Drink Dates:

2016 till 2020.


88 points.

Price Point:

$$ - Tasted at the estate, can be purchased at the estate, online for $32.00 or for a slight discount through their wine club.